Maximum Motorsports (MM), a leader in Mustang suspension, has released their new K-Member for 2005-2014 Ford Mustangs. When it comes to the k-member, MM feels that improved geometry and strength/stiffness are head and shoulders above all other considerations. For the S197 k-member they put not increasing NVH at the secondary level. Reducing weight comes last because it is nearly impossible to reduce weight without also reducing strength and stiffness. Since the k-member supports the entire front suspension while also holding up the engine, they feel that simply in the interest of safety they need to maintain a particular level of strength. If one is serious about weight reduction, MM feels it should be done by reducing the weight of something that is not a mission-critical part, as the k-member is. Fiberglass or carbon fiber body panels are an ideal first choice. This does not mean that they ignore weight-saving, as one can readily see from the lightening holes in the k-member.
This k-member is not aimed at drag racers who want to save weight at any cost. MM knows the majority of their customers are using their vehicle on the street, with occasional track events. Durability and low NVH are their primary concerns. Most of MM’s Fox/SN95 parts were designed for street driving, and then tested and proven on racecars. MM followed the same path when they designed this k-member.
Design Goals Achieved:
- Optimized roll center height for a Mustang lowered to the limit of the American Iron rules.
- Stronger and stiffer than stock k-member, to allow less deflection under cornering and braking loads.
- Fits stock motor mounts, for least change in NVH
- Fits stock front control arms, with stock or aftermarket bushings
- Fits both electric and hydraulic steering racks
- Allows easy oil pan removal without requiring additional engine support
- Upgradable to SLA suspension
- Improved cornering ability due to raised roll center height.
- Improved turn-in response and more precise control due to increased rigidity. This MM k-member has
- 30% less lateral deflection than a stock k-member has at the same cornering load.
- No need to buy new front control arms; the robust stock control arms are used.
- No change in NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) when stock motor mounts are used.
- No change in NVH when stock front control arm bushings are used.
- Increased rigidity improves front end stability and predictability.
- Allows oil pan removal without the need for hanging the engine from a support beam.
- Has provision for mounting upper control arms, for a future upgrade to an SLA suspension.
- Control arm pivot standard location is 5/8″ higher than stock, with second set of holes 1-3/8″ higher than stock.
- DOM steel tube construction
- Includes 2-point brace to stabilize rearward control arm mounts
- Weight: 42.5 lbs.
- Compatible with aftermarket front control arm bushings
- Works with both S197 steering rack types, hydraulic and electric
- Has mounting brackets for MM radiator core support brace that also serves as an adjustable mount for the front swaybar.
- Compatible with stock 2011-2014 radiator core support brace (minor modification to the OEM brace required).
- Durable black powdercoat finish
- Mounting points for future addition of an SLA upper control arm
The Maximum Motorsports S197 Mustang K-Member #MM5KM-7 has a retail price of $789.00