I enjoy participating in many forms of road racing. Short tracks, longs tracks, autocross – the quest to go faster will never subside. For many of us, properly setting up our vehicle’s aerodynamics is difficult to predict and often over looked. That’s why I have been following the development of one special product for some time now. The Aeromotions computer controlled Dynamic Wing.
A static wing always sits in the same position. It makes downforce all the time. But it also makes drag all the time. You could set a static wing to make less drag, but then it would make less downforce. You could set a static wing to make more downforce, but then it would make more drag.
A Dynamic Wing automatically adjusts its angle of attack, so you get the best setting all the time. Developed at MIT, the AeroMotions Dynamic Wing is computer controlled, adjusting its angle to give you the optimal downforce for all driving situations.
Using Patent Pending technology, the AeroMotions Dynamic Aero Processor Technology (ADAPT) controller monitors acceleration, braking and lateral G’s to dynamically provide the optimal downforce. The ADAPT controller can be tuned with the push of a button to let you quickly and easily set up your wing to your car, to your driving style and to the track conditions. The split profile allows you to increase downforce to where you need it, and specifically tune to each side of the car. Wind tunnel designed and track-tested, the AeroMotions Dynamic Wing delivers greater stability, balance, and speed. The Dynamic Wing is made from the best materials using the exact same carbon fiber pre-preg and construction processes employed in Formula 1.
AeroMotions recently tested the Dynamic Wing in a real world test at Thunderhill Raceway Park. Thunderhill is a 3-mile, 15-turn road-race track in Northern California. The vehicle used was a BMW M3 with the following specs:
• BMW E36 Coupe prepared for BMWCCA J-Prepared and NASA Time Trials.
• 210whp, 3.91 Limited Slip Differential, 5-Speed
• Full cage, 2983 lbs w/ driver
• TCKline Koni Double Adjustable coilovers, Ground Control sway bars, delrin/poly bushings all around, etc.
• 255/40/17 Nitto NT01 R-Compounds on 17”x9” wheels
• Equipped with AeroMotions Dynamic Wing S
The test results of the AeroMotions Dynamic Wing speak for themselves:
• Configuration: No Wing | Time: 2:10.105 | Description: Car with no rear wing
• Configuration: Static | Time: 2:09.274 | Description: AM Dynamic Wing S Mounted, Fixed Angle of Attack
• Configuration: Active | Time: 2:08.419 | Description: AM Dynamic Wing S Mounted, Aeromotions Dynamic Aero Processor Active, Endplates
• Configuration: Active Center Plate | Time: 2:07.736 | Description: AM Dynamic Wing S Mounted, Aeromotions Dynamic Aero Processor Active, Endplates, Center plate
Prices for the Aeromotions Dynamic Wing start at $3699.